:| The CCA Chairman's Blog |: (unofficial)

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Craig Rosenthal - Advertising Jury


My first ever job was for a firm of chartered accountants in Brisbane, Australia. One day I was auditing the books of a small Brisbane advertising agency and I came across an unusual business expense - a receipt for The Red Garter Bar (an infamous strip club in the valley).

It occurred to me that advertising seemed like a much more interesting business to be in than bean counting. So I worked up the nerve to ask the creative director how to go about getting into advertising. His advice was as follows: first get a better haircut; second go to Award School; and third find no discrepancy with his expense claim.

So I moved to Sydney and went to AWARD school. After AWARD School I worked for Saatchi's for 3 years. Then in 2000 on my way back from my
sister's wedding in London, I some how managed to miss my flight at Changi so I stayed in Singapore for a week. That was six years ago. Today, I'm still here and happily working for McCann Erickson and, coincidently, also teaching at Award School.