:| The CCA Chairman's Blog |: (unofficial)

Friday, October 13, 2006

Advertising Medal Round

Today was the day we reviewed the shortlist. Like the craft TV jury, we had dividers set up between the judges. This was done to keep the vote of each jury member confidential.

(Speaking of keeping things confidential, for the first time ever we had the jury sign non-disclosure agreements saying they wouldn't disclose the results of the show.)

Of course, discussion of the work during the voting was encouraged. It was pretty obvious who liked what. And of course, who hated what.

But the silent majority ruled the day. I think that discussion is essential to determine the result of any creative show.

How I wish I could have had a video camera taping the whole event from end to end. Especially today! The education you get listening to these guys discuss each ad is unbelievable. It really is.

Then again, I think people act differently when a camera is focused on them. They may even vote differently!

What do you think guys? Think we are ready for CCA TV?


We did catch a few conversations on video. Will review the tapes next week and show it here. You can really learn something from these guys.

As the chairman this year, I didn't comment on any work. Especially my own. I thought it was best to let the jury decide. As you saw at the 4As Creative Seminar, these people are really world class.

Naturally, I did comment on category definitions, rules and sometimes offer suggestions when it came time to call for a second vote.

Noor is unbelievable. She is so composed. I can'timagine anybody doing that job better. She gets down to business man. She is a focused, fair and a gracious moderator. She really doesn't miss a thing.

Her little team of boys moved with perfect precision.

As for the jury. I don't envy those guys. But I think they did an exceptional job.

The question of how well some of the proven pieces did in other international shows came up a few times during the tea breaks. As it did when I served on the jury a few years ago. I remember Adrian Holmes commenting "Well, perhaps the other chaps were wrong?"

I also remember a year when a certain ad for the Economist called 'Brain' got no more than a finalist! That's a hard one to swallow. I was in New York later that spring and I saw it go on to win a One Show gold!

And the list goes on and on...

Some of our Bates work that got into a few shows this year also tanked. What can I say? It's just the way it flows sometimes.

All in all, if we were to judge the advertising section all over again tomorrow, I think it would be roughly the same result.

Perhaps a few less medals, but I think the final tally would be very close to what we had at the end of the today.

The maturity these guys showed in there was admirable. While it got hot at times, each still returned to the safety of his or her own jury box with a vote FOR or a vote AGAINST.

Looking at the work one last time before I left tonight, I thought we had a good spread of winners. I think our TV still sucks. When compared to our print work it just doesn't rate.

I have a lot of respect for the people in that room today. I hope each of them feels just as good as I do about the end result.

And in case you are wondering, I personally witnessed the tally of the secret ballots. We definitely have a clear Gong Winner for Advertising.

The DM and Design work is up tomorrow. Our Design and DM Chairmen will head up those juries. Like our advertisng jury, each Design and DM judge have a voice and a vote to give us.

I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I'm out of here. Goodnight Singapore.